Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sweden - Entry 2

April 24, 2009

Day two in Sweden : Tranas

Think I did not move a muscle while sleeping. When I awoke it was sunny and warm. 0630 hours. Felt greatly refreshed. Got up and read from 2 Samuel. David’s sin with Bathsheba. Uriah’s set up and murder. David’s cover-up of his plan to have Uriah killed. Nathan’s confronting David. David’s humble reply and repentance. The still sobering and woeful consequences. Amnon’s gross and unconstrained passion and sin against Tamar. Note, he does her violence and then she becomes the despised one. Man’s dark soul.

Had a bowl of Muesli – of course. Went to a several times weekly devotion / Bible study led by David Bergmark, pastor of local church that Allie visits. Also met Jonatan Jaderberg. Colin and David Leander were there. Enjoyed talking with David Leander about baseball, Sports Illustrated and chewing tobacco.

Later went to an area that was previously the church’s chapel and re-arranged the furniture for use of the room by incoming baseballers. We then went to the baseball field and painted the scoreboard. Allie and I talked about families back home and about a movie she’d seen with Sean Bean and Christian Bale.

At about 1100 hours, Allie went to work at the local school canteen, and I returned to her apartment for a nap. Noonish, she and Colin found me a bike to use. A aged three speed with a too low seat post (Oy! The knees!) and an almost flat tire. We went to Caroline’s to meet her and borrow a tire pump. The tire was resuscitated. We located a helmet for me to use. With that on, I am truly a sharp dressed man.


We rolled into Tranas and had lunch at a café in sunny outdoor comfort. Talked about US and Swedish politics and people watched. Later Caroline happened by and joined us for ice-cream an coffee. Her father is half-Greek and half-Finnish. Her family lives in Stockholm. We laughed about 7-Elevens in Sweden and how many middle-easterners open pizza-kebab restaurants.

Allie and I mounted our rusty steeds again and rode to Lidl, Sweden’s answer to Piggly Wiggly. A very interesting grocery store. Packaging very different than in US. Nice shopping bags, though. Allie bought food for the Sunday evening meal after church (pasta salad) and other miscellaneous stuff. We put one bag in her basket and clamped the other onto my rear rack and rode back to the apartment. Two miles by my guess. Log ‘em. May still meet my goal of 400 miles for the month.

I remained in the apartment while Allie went to her ballet class. Several regulars called out sick, so attendance may be very low. I went to the AC and uploaded pictures to Facebook. Called home via Skype and talked with Alice and kids. Good ol’ Skype. Checked emails from work – nothing crazy. Grateful for that.

I met Matts this afternoon. Heard about him earlier. He was in an accident on his bike. T-boned a car that pulled in front of him. He was pretty banged up. Had been to the chiropractor earlier. I told him about my similar accident last fall. His collar bone is dislocated and will need to be set back in place later in the week. Lots of orange and purple bruising evident. He knew of Allie as the – then made piano-playing motions. “Yep. That’s her.” I said.

Allie, Colin and I were going out for Thai, but plans changed last minute as Allie was invited out by several women whose kids she cares for. So we changed our plans. I was invited to David Leander’s house for a grill-out with Colin and the Lithuanian baseballers.

I returned to the apartment for a while and read while enjoying a Tuborg, cheese and knacke. Allie returned from the ball field and announced that she’d finished painting the scoreboard – Hurray! No matter the score, this project completion will be the real victory. I guess we all have our “scoreboards.”

As she rode off to dinner I reconnoitered and learned where the Leanders lived. Planned to walk over later and hand over the baseball supplies. I arrived at 1525 hours. David did not arrive until 1605 hours. I enjoyed the cooling evening temps and watched Josefina, Eleanora, Marcus and Karl play. Freda invited me in, but as several of kids had been sick I opted to stay out of doors. I took some pix as I waited for David to arrive.

When he arrived, I fired up the grill. Out came the burgers, brats, Polish sausages and fixin’s. Hotdogs are contained (when one is eating them) in a flat-bread-non-bun. Very “utile” of those Swedes. No need to force open and possibly tear the traditional bun. Make my hotdog bun a Swedish flat bread. We ate everything on the grill. Colin and the Lithuanians went back to the AC. David and I went inside. He put the kids to bed. I did the dishes. I think American dishwashers have better dish racks than Swedish ones. So there.

David and I sat and talked politics, economics, theology, family, his time in the US, and putting kids to bed. I headed back to the apartment at 2225 hours. Fell asleep on the couch waiting for Allie.

I woke up on the same couch at midnight. No Allie. Checked outside for her bike. No bike. Checked the AC. No one there. Got my Blackberry with her phone number, but it does not work here. Tried to find a phone in the AC. None. Tried to get on Skype and call her, but the internet was down. Checked back at the apartment. Still no Allie. Starting to freak a bit. Determined to go back to Leanders to see if they knew where Allie was. I headed over and was walking down the sidewalk when I heard the distinctive sound of a VW van. Saw two headlights approaching. It was a VW van. Freda was driving and had both Caroline and Allie. Felt foolish, a bit angry and gratefully relieved. All my fears compounded by the European detective shows on PBS.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

I slept poorly last night. Wound up from waiting / looking for Allie I suppose. Alarm sounded at 0630 hours. Rolled over for another 1:15 of sleep before Allie woke me. I got up quickly and went to the AC for a men’s breakfast. David Bergmark, David Leander, Colin, Jonatan, and Jonatan’s father, Sune were present. Enjoyed toast and cheese, cereal with yogurt (!?) poured over, and coffee. Sune invited Allie and me to go to Granna for the day along with his wife, Karin. Very good. Great weather again.

Allie and I next went to the ball field and affixed the Tranas Angels placard on the scoreboard. Checked email and saw I had some work-related follow up. Will do later. Sune and Karin picked us up at about 1130 hours. We traveled about 50 km through beautiful country side to Granna, along Lake Vattern. One of Sweden’s deepest lakes. Very narrow. Runs north-south. Went to many shops. A “summer” town. Notable shops were Polkagris where peppermint candies were made by hand and Knacke, where delicious flat bread is made (also sold weekly in Tranas Square).

Another notable attraction is the Polar Museum in honor of Andrees who flew in a hot air balloon to the Arctic Circle and crashed there. He was not able to be rescued, or to extract himself from the situation. He did, apparently, manage to snap a picture which was found amongst his belongings and is spattered cross all kinds of souvenirs.


We then climbed 300 step stair case up to a scenic overlook with a picnic fika. Beautiful vista overlooking Grannas and Lake Vattern. All the while having very good conversation with Sune regarding church, theology, trial and suffering (he lost a son last winter, who committed suicide), economics, politics, work (he’s in the printing / publishing business). We descended back down to town and rode to the lake side Ferry port. We boarded the ferry to the island of Visingso. Saw ruins from 1300’s. Walked and talked some more. Back on the ferry and to Granna. We took a different route back to Tranas through more beautiful farmland, past woods and lake. Saw what is believed to be the largest remaining wooden castle.

Our plans for dinner out were postponed again, as Allie felt a bit under the weather. Instead will have dinner at the AC with Colin and Caroline. I rode my bike to Statoil for eggs, beer and also tried an appetizer-burger (took the edge off). Rode back up to the apartment and relaxed a while.

I grabbed a shower and went to dinner at the AC. Afterward, I checked email, tried to upload pix. Did not work, so will try later. Took a nap on the couch until we were able to reach home via Skype. Talked with Ginny, Gracie, Gifford, Calvin and Alice. Great to see them and hear their voices, see their mannerisms, see the backdrop of our room – really missing the fan. Thought Alice looked wonderful – great to see her. At 2000 hours, the internet cut off. Grrr. Went back to the apartment and read a while. Was tired enough to fall asleep pretty quickly.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Woke to alarm at 0630 hours. Bam! Back to sleep until 0800 hours. Got up very groggily. My hair had a huge pillow-wave. I looked like Big Boy. Found cereal and yogurt. Freshened up. Made coffee.

Allie and I rode down to Tranas to the Metodist Kyrkan. Allie did a sound check. Met Colin. Practiced piano and guitar tunes.

The church is a red brick, classic style church. Copper roof has turned green. Interior is high-ceilinged, arched. Huge mural at front (behind pulpit) of a saint and an angel both standing above and outside the Heavenly City. A good reminder we seek that Heavenly City.

The hymn numbers are hung inside an ornate frame to the left of the pulpit. There is another identical frame to the right, but it has no numbers hung in it. Turns out it’s a HVAC air return. Funny. Sneaky church architecture.

Sermon was in Swedish, I phonetically worked through the hymns. I’d been given an English abridgement which I read during the sermon. Allie played the prelude, but as the organist was present, she did not have to play for the hymns. She sat with Josefina Leander. David Leander preached. The sermon was from 1 Peter 4 – Having the same mind as Christ. After the sermon, a hymn was begun of which we sang all but the last stanza. At this point the offering was collected and prayer was offered. Then we sang the concluding stanza. Matters for prayer were mentioned, and intercession was made by David Bergmark. The benediction was pronounced, and all were dismissed. Most folk headed up to a fellowship hall where fika was served. I was discouraged from taking two cookies (two very small cookies) – lagom. Good coffee.

I met several more names I’d heard of over the months and many of the kids. Also another David (the third one so far) who is on the baseball team – a Swede from Tranas, his fiancé, Natasha – from Cape Town, South Africa, Stacy Bergmark – born and raised around Atlanta and in Sweden for 9 years. Adults gathered for study of Hebrews 10. Kids scattered for Sunday school.

Allie and I rode back to the apartment via the river and lakefront. Beautiful. Stopped several times for pictures.

Back at the apartment, we assembled a chicken, sausage, rice, bok-choi, skillet dish with couscous, knacke and cheese as sides. Colin and Jonatan joined us. Good conversation had. Moved to back patio for coffee and dessert.

Allie and Caroline prepped a meal for after the evening service and we headed back to town. Allie and Colin tuned and warmed up for a 1730 hours start. Some different faces were present than at the a.m. service. Sune and Karin Jaderberg were there, as well as Andreas’ parents in law. Both very warm couples. Karin seems to take a very comforting shine to Allie, for which she is grateful (as am I). The sermon was from Matthew 1 and Luke 1 – the topic being the Virgin Birth. The evening theme of late has been the Apostles’ Creed. We sang several hymn whose tunes were familiar, but (as with a.m. service) whose Swedish lyrics I butchered. I finally resorted to using English a bit subtly.

We had dinner at the Bergmark’s home, just next door to the church. Conversations mostly in Swedish. Allie and Colin seem very able to comprehend most of what is said. We moved into the living room after dinner for discussion from “What Is A Healthy Church Member?” General trajectory of conversation to do with members’ ability to speak with evangelical accuracy and precision with opportunities present. Important that our speaking to / offering the gospel not be so watered down or rushed that we fail to present gospel essentials. We sang several songs with Colin playing guitar.

Rode back to the apartment in dimming dusk.

Once home, Allie and I went over to the old church location, in the same apartment building she lives in. Uploaded Facebook pix, checked email and Skyped with Em and Gin. Used Allie’s MacIn-Toy, to do both, so at one pint Brie rang in on Skype, thinking I was Allie. I wrote that ‘twas I, that I was in Sweden visiting Allie, and that I was using her laptop. Told her I’m sure Allie will be sorry to have missed her. She replied she hoped I’d have a great visit.

I got back to the apartment 12 midnight-ish. Read a while. Had a few olives, glass of milk. Then to bed.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Woke up with alarm at 0630 hours. Killed the sound. Went back to bed until 0830. Got up and had toast with Allie. Went to the AC to check email and uploaded pix to Facebook. Colin arrived and made us both an excellent cup of coffee.

At 0930, Allie and I headed across the complex to do some apartment cleaning. This was a veritable Merry Maids D-Day Invasion. We dusted, scrubbed, cleaned windows, straightened, organized, mopped, vacuumed, swept and collected all the trash. She had spent quite a few hours earlier last week on the same project, and we just about completed things. Had to leave at 1100 hours to prepare a picnic lunch and catch the 1147 train to Linkoping (Lin-Sher-Ping). Got lunch ready and rode to the Tranås station. Got there just as train pulled away. Hmm. No problem. Rode to Tranås River and picnicked there. Sun had given way to overcast skies, but not unpleasant. We then rode to the station only to learn that there was not a 1247 train. No problem. Poked around Tranås shops until 1347, and purchased some souvenirs. We were successful catching the train this time, and were on our way to Linkoping.

The ride lasted about 40 minutes, making stops in Boxholm, Mjolby, Mantorp, Vikingstad and then Linkoping. Each town was interesting to look at as we approached and sat a while. Some had well-defined neighborhoods on the outskirts, some had small or sizeable factories or warehousing businesses. None were so large that they weren’t dwarfed by their natural surroundings.

We boarded the city bus and rode to Old Town (Gamla) Linkoping, where we spent two hours or so walking the historic cobbled streets. Some shops were open. Bought gifts at a couple shops. Had delicious pastry and coffee at a café and enjoyed both outside. The sun had reclaimed the sky. Went into the woodcraft shop, the chocolate shop, and saw an ornate outdoor bowling alley - cooler than White Sulphur Springs (sorry, Rick). A lot of very interesting landscaping, exterior colors and archi-texture.

We took the bus back Linkoping center city and walked around some more. Looked at shops: cheese shop, Game Stop (!), a bike shop that caters to the college population and sells studded snow tires for riding on snow and ice, Allie’s ballet class destination (with one of her young charges), the Dom Kyrkan, St. Lars Church - (1802), with a 12th century tower, the Concert Hall, several interesting sculptures / sculpture gardens.

We ate at a Greek restaurant that Allie had been to previously. Actually ordered take-away and ate dinner sitting on a huge cheese-round shaped stone outside St. Lars Church. People watched until it was time to go to the station.

Boarded the train back to Tranås and were joined by Caroline, whose classes had ended that day. I slept most of the way back. We got our bikes and rode off-back to the apartment. As we approached Lidl, Allie and Caroline took a by-path under blossom laden trees and grabbed handfuls of petals. I stayed on the main bike path and passed them. I continued up the hill from Lidl and realized at the top that they had not come around the bend. I waited and then rode back down the hill. They had gone into to Lidl and their bikes were outside. So, I moved both bikes out of sight around the corner. I rode to the edge of the parking lot and waited for them to appear. When they came out and detected their bikes were missing, their confused reactions and alarm were very funny. I snapped a picture (with the last juice left in my camera battery). Only which it had been a close up, or that I’d been able to shoot video. We shared the laughs and rode home.

Went to the AC to check email and upload pix. Skyped home and talked to Alice, Calvin, Gracie, Gifford and Caleb. Glad to hear the air conditioner was working, as temperatures back home had climbed into the 80s. I told the kids I’d found a candy that would easily rival any Warhead. They can’t wait!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Learned that many churches in Sweden have summer lakefront homes and move all their corporate activities there during the summer months. Cool.

I rode into town this morning to pick up come hooks that we’ll use to hang the scoreboard numbers. My first solo venture into town for purposes of commerce. I stopped for coffee and buns at Statoil on the way back.

I found Allie back over at “Apartment Normandy” (as in the invasion), and we continued cleaning for another two-and-a-half hours. Windows mostly. Big job. Most windows were braced from opening far enough to clean the outside. Bad form to let kids fall out 5th story windows. Reasonable, I guess. Each “sash” is hinged on the side so as to swing open, and is composed of two panes of glass sandwiched together. Each window was (mostly) two sashes – one about a meter across and the other about a foot across. Some windows had a large sash and two smaller sashes. Each sash was to be unlatched and opened so that both inside and outside surfaces could be cleaned. In one apartment, most of the windows also had Venetian blinds clipped in place, which impeded the windows from swinging open. These blinds had to be taken down first – later had to be re-hung. The clips holding the blinds in were very stiff and difficult to open. For all her gifts, at 5’-5”, Allie couldn’t reach them, and I could barely open them. I used a table spoon handle to pry them open. We broke briefly for lunch, before continuing the window washing. Also straightened several multi-occupant (and it showed) kids rooms turning each room’s utter chaos into smaller piles of categorized chaos. Done. Left for ball field.

At the ball field we put up hooks on which the number signs will be hung. The drill didn’t work, so I used a concrete drill bit and a rock, and pounded starter holes. I was able to twist in the hooks. Colin was moving logs around at the edge of the outfield. I next went back to the AC where David Leander had dropped off his corded drill, and drilled holes in the tops of each number placard.

Before dinner, I checked email, and uploaded more pix.

Dinner was at Caroline’s. She prepared a whole wheat pasta with a coating of olive oil, feta cheese, pear and zucchini bits. Very tasty. Colin and Jonatan joined. Good conversation. Lots of laughter.

I had to stop by the AC to gather up my things. Skyped with Alice before leaving. On my way out, I heard odd little grunting sounds coming from a bush. On closer inspection, two hedgehogs were . . . arguing? Weird. My maiden hedgehog sighting. Went back to the apartment and read until I fell asleep.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

This morning my alarm did not sound. Blackberry battery had run out of juice. I awoke at 0705 hours. Got up and read a while. 2 Samuel 16-19. Very sad account of Absolom’s treason against his father. Though he sought to kill David and take his kingdom forcibly, David grieved for his son and loved him deeply. I think I am too easily offended by my sons’ occasional nuisances.

Allie and I had coffee at the AC, before heading off with Colin to the Metodist Kyrkan for a weekly prayer meeting led by David Leander. At these gatherings, adults from the Stoerydskyrkan and the Metodist Kyrkan gather for devotions from the Upper Room. Today’s text was Isaiah 55 – God’s grace is a free gift; buy it without money. Curiously sad that so many will take many things that are free, but are not so inclined to receive God’s grace through Christ.

All in Swedish, but lively, interested, attentive discussion. Next prayed. Was impressed with the Swedes’ prayers – passionate, thankful (“Vi tacka du Herren . . .”), imploring – very moving. Following this, we had fika. Most discussion was in Swedish, but occasional topics in English included seatbelt laws (David Leander was fined twice in two months last year for not wearing his seatbelt – 1,500 Kronas each time), leaving children behind accidentally.

Allie and Colin were watching and playing with the little ones. Allie was impressive to watch. Seems to tackle everything thrown at her. Speaks Svenska, plays piano for church and for little ones, does seemingly lowly tasks with a calm determination, juggles a very busy agenda from day to day – each day slightly different from the others.

David Bergmark gave me my Sunday evening exhortation notes back with suggestions. Will be helpful as I plan to edit things down this evening.

I had lunch with Allie, Colin, and Jonatan at Shalom Pizza and Kebab. I was directed to order the Gyro Pizza with strong sauce and onions. BIG portion. Very tasty. Certain to taste again later.

In Sweden, most bottles are recycled. You take them to a local grocery store and feed them into a machine that scans a bar code which equates to a refund amount. When you’re done putting the bottles into the machine, you push a button, and receive a receipt that is turned in for cash. I took the receipt, and went to the cashier. I handed it to her and she looked at me oddly. “Aren’t you going to buy anything?” I said, “No – just wanted the pant experience.” I did give the 5 Kronas to Allie who used it to buy some groceries.

I went to the city tourism shop and got a t-shirt for one of the kids. I settled next at the Skaffereit for coffee and laptop time. Done with that, I inquired “Var ar toalett?”. “Uppfor” was the reply. So I went upstairs and came to a door for dwarves. Undaunted, I found another taller doorway with “toilette” on the door. Ureka!

Much relieved, I went back downstairs and walked up the street to Systembolaget, the town ABC store (literally “liquor store”). Wandered around and saw both familiar labels and foreign, as well as Sweden-ized versions of familiar labels. Wine, beer, cider (Alice would have been duly impressed), distilled spirits and non-alcoholic versions. A very colorful store. Didn’t feel so far away when I spotted Miller and Budweiser. Left with a one liter box of Aussie Chardonnay, a one liter box of South African Shiraz-Merlot-Cabernet blend, and a Swedish 6.9% brew: Mariestad Old Ox. Wandered past the town shops back toward the apartment, poking around in several.

I headed back to Allie’s and enjoyed the walk. There is a tire shop on the way that deals in big tires. The name of the business is gummi (rubber) verkstad (workplace). The roads are thick with large trucks and tractors that use these tires. Tractors with front end loaders, tractors pulling flat trailers, delivery trucks, semi-trailer trucks, and tandem trucks hauling huge logs (all huge and strait as rails). This time of year, now that the snow has melted, all the sand that was spread for traction has been deposited on the roads, bike paths, and sidewalks. People walking and cars rolling produce a distinct crunch, crunch, crunch sound, and a significant sand sweeping effort is underway. In the week that I’ve been here, they have all been virtually swept clean. This town shines up pretty good.

When I arrived back at Allie’s a note told me she’d gone to the ball field. I rode over and found lots of activity taking place. Little leaguers were practicing, Allie was mowing the grass outside the fence, and Colin was pitching to young batters. I took over mowing from Allie and she raked and picked up flotsam and jetsam, and other odds and ends that will fuel a bonfire. Bonfires on April 30 are a spring tradition. April 30 is Walpuris Night (Valborgsmässoafton). This is the birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf (the present Monarch) and the eve of the feast or St. Walburga, when university students and former students gather in from of bonfires all over Sweden to sing songs welcoming spring. They wear the white student caps with black visors. More often than not it is sleeting and rainy, but the forecast tomorrow is promising.

When I was done mowing, I dragged some old carpet to the bonfire, and then ran around in the outfield chasing balls that got past junior infielders. Allie and I then walked back to the apartment for a quiet evening and leftovers at some point.

No comments: